Sunday, October 01, 2006

Memories

The human brain is made in such a complicated way. I’m not gonna talk science here, but I want to share some facts I’ve learnt about my own brain, well to be more specific the long term memory section of my brain I’d say. The section that deals with blurred scenes and stories I’ve lived ages ago.
My collective memory splits my life stream into phases, each of which is linked to, or coupled with an event (not particularly big or major), an image, a sound, or even an aroma (not the cafe shop in Damascus :P).
The way I recall phases of my life when exposed to certain situations reminds me of the famous Pavlov’s conditional response.
The funny thing is that, no matter how harsh some of those times “through which I’ve been” were, I still can’t see but the good side.

While,

The strange thing is that sometimes I spend (or is it waste) a long time and make a huge effort to, maybe, find and enjoy a song that is linked to a period of my life, and I get really happy when I find it. Yet after a while the excitement of finding the song and listening to it will eventually disappear, and the link with the old things will be damaged. Simply the song “the reminder” is not special anymore. Only at that point I think like : I wish I have not found it…I wish it was still there in the back of my mind linked to those lovely days.

P.S. in the clip: a video that may seem unrelated and stupid, but for those of you who used to watch the Syrian channel two in the late 80s it could mean a LOT.

Тающий снег /Ласковый май

1 Comments:

Blogger Ihsan said...

First of all, man, I've been looking for this songs for ages. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!


No matter how dark of sad our past may be. It still what it formed us the way we are today. When I remember the past through a song or a trivial thing, I'm more trying to remember myself then rather than remembering that time in general. Basically, we all miss the old us, we miss who we were. Maybe cuz life was simpler in our minds but not in real, while now it's never simple neither in our minds nor in real.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home